Sunday, September 25, 2005

Great Weekend at the NBC11 Living Well Expo... and a little info on MBT's!



The above picture is what I looked like after the two days at The Living Well Expo! It was a great event with many different activities and vendors catering to your over all health. This included not only your physical health, but your mental health! There was rock climbing, scuba diving, soccer, and other activities to get your heart rate up.

We were constantly swamped in the booth allowing people to experience the feeling of Z-CoiL Pain Relief Footwear. It was interesting because there was another footwear dealer at the fair demonstrating MBT's (Masai Barefoot Technology). MBT's describe themselves as follows: "Through its multi layered sole MBT® transforms flat, hard, artificial surfaces into natural, uneven ground. Wearing MBT® is like walking in sand. Unlike most conventional training shoes that only support and cushion your feet, the inherent instability and the unique rolling action of the MBT® sole challenges the feet and postural muscles to be more active. This reactive, more supportive muscle action creates good posture and increases shock absorption for all the joints, significantly reducing musculo-skeletal compression."

We were visited by their staff and several of the people from the MBT booth tried on our Z-CoiL Footwear. So,I figured I had to check out their technology also to understand how a show that transforms hard surfaces into uneven ground can increase the shock absorption. I tried a pair on, and before you stand up, they have you roll your foot back and forth to get used to the rocker sole. It is an extreme rocker sole. In fact, once you stand up, if you try and put any weight on your heel, you will fall back! As the rep told me, they want to center your weight in your insole area so as to improve your posture. What it felt like to me is that almost all of the pressure on my body was in the arch area, and in fact, it felt like a lump. It forces you to take small steps, which was very awkward for me.

As some of you are aware, I have a pretty severe hamstring injury, but with Z-CoiL's, I can run 4 to 5 times a week without pain. In the MBT's, my hamstring started bothering me after just a few minutes of walking around. I felt that I could not find that sweet spot and was fighting it just trying to stand upright!

Needless to say, MBT's are not on my list of shoes to buy, but if you have never experienced them, it is worth the experience. Many people at the shoe tried on both shoes, and those that we talked to rated Z-CoiL Footwear far superior for cushioning and comfort!

Till later,
Caesar...

No comments: