Thursday, November 10, 2005

We All Have Bad Days... Response to my Customer Service Post



As you might be aware, I had a circumstance with another company that was very contrary to what I would have expected in the area of customer service. It was still a heated situation a bit this morning and he offered to refund my money in full if I just refused the package when UPS delivered it and sent him a fax with my intentions, which I decided to do.

Now, here is where TRUE customer service comes through! We all have bad days, and sometimes we say or do things that we shouldn't... sometimes it is caused by a stressful day at the office, sometimes it is caused by a stressful day at home. None the less, sometimes we do not put our best foot forward. The thing about it, though, is that when you realize it, you need to take action, which is what the president of this company did:

Mr. Snee,

I received your fax and will refund 100% of costs associated with your poster purchase. Additionally, I have discussed the circumstances with my wife and partner, Hope, who strongly suggested that I owe you an apology.

After hearing her comments, it gave me pause to consider the events and I do wish to sincerely apologize for the anguish and harsh comments I have made. Please rest assured, that I am not in the habit of alienating our customers, all of us here have worked too hard to lose customers. Being in business, you understand the value of keeping customers happy and my comments, conduct and attitude simply did not measure up to what I expect of myself or my employees.

As a gesture of sincerity, please accept the UPS package containing the poster free of charge. I have already reversed the charge on your credit card.

I also withdraw the strong-arm tactic of using the threat of lawsuit to force you to retract your comments on your website. Although I would wish you remove the negative remarks, I will not assume to tell you what to do.

If there is a positive side to this, I have learned that when having a bad day, pause before responding to situations which cause challenges.

Your initial email deserved a better answer, and I failed you. I am sorry.

Once again, please accept the poster at no charge.

Sincerely,
John
President
[company name withheld by me]

I was once again shocked... only in a very positive manner! Although I did not need to, I felt compelled to change the other post to take out any identifying information. I thought about deleting it totally but if anyone had read the first version, they would get the wrong idea and wonder why it was deleted. I also contacted the people I talked to earlier who I had referred to the site and they were very impressed with this resolution and plan to continue to use this company.

This took a lot of thought and courage for him to send this email... but what he accomplished through this email is to make me understand also that we are all human... we have bad days... we have to take a deep breath at times and look at the big picture. I have to ensure that if I have a bad day, that I don't let it reflect upon my customers. And if I do react inappropriately, I need to take action to resolve, just as he did.

What else he has accomplished is to gain me back as a customer... a paying customer. I plan to send him an email telling him to charge my account and I will accept the posters! I deal with companies that have integrity, and this man has shown me that he and his company does!

Till later,
Caesar...

No comments: